Sea water plays an important role when not only absorbing CO2 from the air, but also providing habitat and nutrition for billions of marine creatures. In addition, sea water also helps to regulate the coastal climate and absorb heat from the Sun, then distribute it evenly around the Earth…
Oceans cover about 70% of the Earth’s surface. Therefore, if we tried to pour all that water into Olympic-sized swimming pools, we would need more than 500 trillion swimming pools to be able to hold enough.
The oceans account for 97% of the water on the planet, while the remaining 3% is kept in rivers, lakes, groundwater and even ice caps. However, as the Earth’s oceans simultaneously evaporate, 3% of this water will not be enough to make up for that loss.
In fact, the world’s oceans act like a global climate control system. They will absorb most of the Sun’s heat and distribute it evenly across the Earth. Thanks to that, no area on the blue planet is too hot or too cold.
In addition, the oceans also contribute to maintaining the water cycle, which evaporates into clouds and then makes rain back to Earth.
So, if the sea water on Earth simultaneously evaporated, what would happen?
Water on Earth goes through a very magical cycle. Accordingly, rain flows into rivers and carries that water to the oceans. Finally, the water evaporates back into the clouds.
In fact, water vapor in the atmosphere is one of the reasons the Earth is habitable. However, it also accounts for half of the greenhouse effect that causes the atmosphere to warm.
According to scientists, there are about 38 million billion gallons of water vapor in the atmosphere. Therefore, if all this water vapor condenses and falls to Earth at the same time, humans will receive 3 cm of rain across the planet.
But soon there will be more steam because we are going to try to increase the temperature until it reaches boiling point.
As the oceans begin to warm, the air inevitably feels sticky, hot, and heavy. With such high humidity, the human body would struggle to cool down. Because moisture stays on the skin longer, people can begin to experience heat exhaustion.
This is not the only problem. Because people will be caught in the middle of a vicious circle. Specifically, as heat spreads across the oceans, the atmosphere becomes overloaded with water vapor. This will make things hotter. The Earth will now absorb more energy from the Sun, more than it returns to space. Therefore, humans are on the verge of experiencing the greenhouse effect and everything around will become hotter.
Then, temperatures across the Earth will begin to equalize and the poles will become warmer. Ice caps at the poles and glaciers in the mountains will melt. This will raise the sea level by about 70 m. Floods will destroy coastal cities around the world. This disaster displaced hundreds of millions of people around the world. Rising sea levels make things worse, as the oceans are warming and evaporating faster. At this point, all life on the blue planet will begin to disappear.
Sea creatures will obviously be the first victims after the sea water evaporates simultaneously. After that, the Earth will slowly warm up until it turns into Venus. Any remaining water on the planet will evaporate and this causes humanity to die of dehydration.
Most animals would go extinct without water. After a few days, plants will also give up their attempts to survive without water.
A few weeks later, the same thing will happen to the forests. In the end, they will catch fire and continue to burn until there is no more vegetation. In the span of a year, the Earth will become devoid of life. Without water, it probably means there is no chance to create life anymore.
According to scientists, climate change is likely to affect the amount of water vapor in the atmosphere in the coming decades. As global temperatures rise, the amount of water evaporating from the surface will increase, and so will the amount of water vapor in the atmosphere. Then, with more and more water vapor in the atmosphere, it will contribute to warming and enhancing the greenhouse effect. As a result, global warming can accelerate rapidly.
Article referenced source: Whatif, Livescience